Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Relient K

"You say, I know that this will hurt. But if I don't break your heart, things will just get worse. When the burden seems too much to bear, remember, the end will justify the pain it took to get us there."

I listened to these lyrics by Relient K today on my drive home from Pontiac and was stunned.
I have been feeling really blah lately. I am really excited about the photography business and seeing Seth's dream come true is amazing. He is so passionate about his art and striving to improve and learning from other photographers and it is so beautiful. And yet, somehow, I still feel a little.....empty.
Everything in life is good, really good. And that's why this song was so powerful today.
Everything is so good that I have gotten complacent and comfortable. My passion and drive for ministry needs to be stoked, so to speak.
My confidence is still shaken from past ministry experience and God is going to have to work through that in me, which I am decently sure will be a lifelong pursuit.
And the thought of God breaking my heart, again, causes my eyes to well up with tears, knowing the difficulty faced in the past, but in comparison to now, I would truly prefer it.
While I worked with the kids on the near north side, I saw them in a different light, from a godly perspective and it drove my passion. My friend James says "Passion is a direct result of perspective." and I think he's exactly right. God broke my heart for those kids.

I was telling Holly the story the other day of how God called me to work with those kids when I truly did not want the job. As I was watching my favorite movie, Ben Hur, God spoke to me as Mary had given birth to Jesus in the barn. He told me I was supposed to care and raise His children in Taft Homes and I told him that I felt like Mary. Mary was the only person on the planet who truly knew Jesus was God's son considering she felt him the womb, she knew how he got there, and I would expect she'd want to treat him like the king she knew he was....and yet, she has no money, no place to give birth, no special receiving blanket or cloth for him. She's got him in the hay wrapped in some old cloth. And I felt that I would have no idea how to connect with inner-city kids who don't have loving and engaged parents, who are surrounded by drugs and sex when I was never close to those environments. And as I was telling God, the wisemen showed up in Bethlehem and it dropped in my heart, "I will provide for MY children. You just need to be there.". Clear as day, I knew, probably felt what Mary felt, relief. Although I don't know how she spent that frankensence, I would bet she bought food and clothing and shelter for her son.
So, in hindsight, having that experience during Ben Hur or the hundreds of other stories I could tell from my days in ministry was worth the pain it took to be in that place. And the pain was intense, believe me. My heart was broken in that place, but God was there.

I don't know that I am ready to pray for that heartache again......

"You say, I know that this will hurt. But if I don't break your heart, things will just get worse. When the burden seems too much to bear, remember the end will justify the pain it took to get us there."

....but hearing those lyrics causes me to want to be ready.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Mary, I'm really interested to know what kind of ministry you are thinking about? I'm excited for you to pursue God in this.

Also, about the other Mary... I know that this wasn't part of your experience the first time, but don't forget that God not only provided the Wise Men, but others. There were the shepherds who believed. And long before them, there was her cousin Elizabeth. God reveiled to her that Mary was the "mother of my Lord." Reread the words of the Magnificat - I think they would be very humbling, yet reviving for Mary. And finally, there was Joseph. He didn't know what exactly was going on, but when God spoke to him in dreams he listened, believed and stood by Mary. He loved Mary and he loved the Child she delivered. I think you can draw a lot of comparisons between St. Joseph and Seth.

So all this to say that God has ALREADY put people into your life to support you through all this.

maryflorence said...

Bonnie,
Yes, I totally agree. It's amazing to watch the provision for the Mary & Joseph & Jesus.
And while, God did speak to others about Jesus and they had faith to believe, nobody knew the way Mary KNEW. You know what I mean? I think that must have been the coolest thing. I think often about how I doubt anyone will ever know me as well as my mother. She knows me inside and out, upside and down. How cool would it be to know Jesus in that way, as a mother? Spectacular. I just love thinking about her in that way and their relationship. It speaks to me and shows me more of Jesus and God's provision.

And really, God has put people in my life or I wouldn't be in the place I am now, even having any faith, so yes, I am grateful.
And He will show me the next step when it's time. I am not going to try to rush into anything. I think having the desire where I am supposed to be and we'll see what happens.
:)
Thanks for your encouragement, Bon. Man, I love you.
You have always been one of "my people" and I am grateful for you.
Too bad I missed you the other day when I was driving by!! Let's hang out soon!! In the old days, you'd be babysitting your neighbor with the pool and we'd just hang out in the pool all day!!! Know anyone with a pool?? :)