Friday, September 11, 2009

To Life, To Life, L'Chai-im

Ahh, life, why do you act like this?

I was at a wedding Sunday, catching up with old friends. Actually, to be fully honest, catching up with the wife of a man, I once adored. But as we talked about life, we discussed how all us 20-somethings think we'll have it all in our 20s. Where did we get this notion? Why do we think we'll have the beautiful house, well decorated by Pottery Barn, married to the perfect spouse with a successful career and several children dressed to the nines in Gap attire. And yet, it seems like we get maybe one of those things. I have built a business but don't have the family aspect. They have a beautiful family, but her career has been put off for awhile. Then I know others who own beautiful homes, but haven't found that person to share life with.
Maybe life just pieces together eventually and we have to wait on it.
My dad has always wanted kids. I think me & my brother are truly the light of his life. He didn't have me until he was 38. He had a successful career and owned beachfront property in San Diego, but was missing one piece of the puzzle til then. I have to remind myself this, often lately, because I have these unrealistic expectations of myself and my life.

But life treats us all well in the long run. God is good. And He is sufficient even if I never have it all together.
To Life, To Life, L'Chai-im

No comments: