Everyone needs someone in their life to be the calming person...the voice of reason in emotion or conflict. Typically, I am that person. I try to examine both sides of the story and not get too emotional over either way.
So yesterday when confronted with a slight conflict, I was tired and frustrated and I just couldn't pull myself together to be the calming person. So I needed outside help. I called my friend, Emily.
She's awesome...by the way.
Anyway, she was SO good about bringing up the points that I needed to hear. Not just agreeing with my rant but turning it around and helping me pull out of it. There aren't many people in my life that I let help me.
I realized that I really don't. I will tell Seth that I want him to help me on emotional days or whatever, but then when the emotional day hits, I force myself to get out of it without help. When crisis or worry hits me, I do not allow anyone to help. And when others try and I have a hard time responding. Why is this pride there? I think part of it is that when I think of my mom, who is totally put together and the person I want to be, I think she can handle anything. She has never needed help. She can do it. And so therefore, I can do it.
But yesterday on the phone with Em in the backyard, it felt good to let someone else carry the weight for me. It was nice to have a friend who was "on my side" and yet didn't tell me I was right/wrong, but just allowed me to move through the emotions instead of sitting on one.
I want to try and do that more. I want to let people help me.
Because, the Lord knows, I need it!
Friday, October 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment