Saturday, October 4, 2008

More alike that I knew....

I used to be in the school of thought where there were two kinds of people in this world:
1. Motivated, driven people
2. Unmotivated, laid-back, whatever happens-happens people.

And because of my parents, I always considered myself more in the first category, although I have my fair share of laziness. But I was thinking the other day that I am super driven and super motivated when it comes to someone else.
Like for example, in my job I do some accounting and fleet managing for a huge company. I am so meticulous and detail oriented in their finances. If we are overcharged on $2 on our credit card, I know it and I am on the phone for a refund. But it hasn't been until recently that I have really gotten a hold of our finances. And I used to use the excuse that I didn't know how, but that doesn't fly anymore because I do know how.....and frankly, I am pretty damn good at my job so I know I have no excuse.
And then there's the business. Photography is fun, seriously it is. But Seth is really the photography talent and passion. I am still learning. I like the accounting (shocking) and organizing side of it all. But I have pushed and pushed to get this thing going. Spent hours up at night while Seth watched tv. And now that it's moving, Seth's motivation has kicked in....but it took awhile. Why is it that I can be so driven to accomplish Seth's dream, but not my own?

I don't know so let me switch to another topic within motivation....the role of the wife.
Some 1. women marry 2. men. And I'd say I am one of those women. That doesn't mean Seth is lazy because he really isn't. He is a very hard worker. He is a perfectionist which is why it takes him 45 minutes to do the dishes or 1 hour to clean the bathroom. The issue is that he doesn't usually have the motivation to do the dishes or clean the bathroom. And I struggled with this for a long time. I was so sick of nagging him to do the dishes or even to finish photography stuff that I know he loves. So I decided to just push through it and wait for his determination to kick in. Because he couldn't get it from me. It was going to have to come from deeper within him. And eventually it did. As he started to see results, he began to push himself.
So maybe Seth and I are more alike that I realized. Because if you asked him to come over to your house and help you on a project, he would. And he would do it with his perfectionist attitude. Like me and my drive to do something for others, but when it comes to our own dreams, we both need someone else to jumpstart us.

No comments: